The Halfmoon Bay Community Association (HBCA) is a non-profit organization that represents the community of Halfmoon Bay on the Sunshine Coast of BC. Our Board of Directors works tirelessly to uphold the intent of its Constitution through adherence to its Mission and Objectives. Check out our local events and find out how you can get involved. Donations to our fundraising program can be made through our Community Initiatives Program.
The land on which the former Community Hall sits (at 8394 Redrooffs Road), was donated by Mr. David Fullerton and initially included the 179-acre watershed area above the Community Hall. Title to the watershed area was transferred to the Sunshine Coast Regional District in 1977.
A restrictive covenant on this property was set up in favour of the 8394 Redrooffs Road property stating that the property may be used “only for the purposes of a wilderness park and hiking trails provided that up to a maximum of two acres of the park may be used for the purposes of a reservoir or for purposes relating to the SCRD’s water system”.
The Community Hall was originally built by members of the community in 1958 as a centennial project. (The Crown Colony of British Columbia was created in 1858 Honour Roll during the reign of Queen Victoria.) It has been renovated several times over the years, including a major expansion in 1971 (another centennial project — British Columbia joined the Dominion of Canada in 1871 as the 6th province). In 2006, a new metal roof was added. The colour selected? Red, of course. In 2011, the Halfmoon Bay Community Hall property was sold to a local Halfmoon Bay resident. The Welcome Beach Community Association events continued at nearby Coopers Green. In 2015, the Association changed its name to the Halfmoon Bay Community Association and continues to organize events at Coopers Green Hall and the Park.